Thursday, August 2, 2012

Therapy; A History

I started therapy when I was...9? Maybe? I don't remember.  I saw her because I'd been starting to show obsessive worrying tendencies.  I don't remember a whole lot about what we talked about, but I do remember her making me write things down.  I had a journal, and I had to write my worries, one by one, and include what it is that I thought I could do to stop.  This was not at all helpful.

I went several times, I think finally deciding that it just surely wasn't working.  I was 9, I didn't know you had to WORK at therapy.  I thought they just cured you.

The next therapist was in college.  I honestly don't remember this one.  At all.  I was in a bad place then, trying new medicine and I don't know if maybe I blocked a lot of it out?

Let's fast forward to after college, first therapist seen with my own insurance through my own job.  I blindly picked the first office that didn't send me to an automation telling me about suicide.   Bad idea.    I'll call this therapist (actually that one was a social worker) "Mary".  Mary met me in a church, and asked me lots of religious questions.

Let me stop for a second and say something- I think that therapy coupled with religion can be very helpful for some.  I wasn't in the right place for it emotionally.  I felt nothing but resentment and it in turn made me angry at Mary.  I couldn't make it about me, which is what therapy is supposed to be about.

I then went in search of someone else, and I came upon "Sarah". Sarah started out SO good.  We focused a lot on my relationships and some CBT (which I do very much believe in).  Until one fateful day.  When I started crying in the chair and she mocked me.  Put up her hands as if to imitate a small child crying and asked me if I felt like I was 5.  I left.

It took me a couple years to get the courage up to see another one.  And the one i'm with now is AMAZING.  I wish it was kosher to hug a therapist because I want to hug him every time I see him.

Obviously I'll tell you more about Magical Healer Therapist later.

No comments:

Post a Comment